Villette


-by Charlotte Brontë

622 pages (1853)

[Dec. 29, 2000] At a friend's urging, I am at the outset Charlotte Brontë's novel Villette. I will pen a brief review when I have completed it. 

[Jan. 20, 2001] Due to lack of leisure time, I am only now half way through Villette. I found it a bit difficult to get into during the first few chapters however I am enjoying it at present. The novel is set in the mid-19th century, and revolves around a shy and unworldly English governess cast adrift in a French city far away from her home. While dealing with the flamboyant and eccentric personalities surrounding her, she seeks to discover herself. 

[Jan. 28, 2001] I stayed up late finishing it last night, and read it on the way to/from work. It was hardly a 'gripping' novel yet I just couldn't seem to put it down. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, which Brontë easily brought to life, and I admired her poetic style of writing. It just seemed to be lacking in so many regards. I'm a bit disappointed with the ending, which is vague and leaves the reader 'dangling.'

No comments:

Post a Comment