Mr. Darcy's Daughter

Mr. Darcy's Daughter
-by Rebecca Ann Collins
(2000)

an excellent P&P sequal

After recently completing Ms. Collin's latest work, Mr. Darcy's Daughter, I must fervently applaud her talents once more. Out of all of Ms. Collins' characters, I believe that Cassy Darcy (Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam's lovely daughter) is one of my favorites. A strong and complex heroine, not unlike her mother Lizzy when we first met her in Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Cassandra must overcome and conquer many trials in life. Yet, her harrowing experiences are but a strengthening aid to her persona, and as a result, she is consistently a mature and stable character throughout the novel. One is able to relate to her thoughts, sympathize with her concerns and struggles...and feel  relief  when obstacles are overcome, or at least, adequately dealt with. 

The reader will certainly discover that Mr. Darcy's Daughter is a delicate and intricate blend pertaining to love, honor, trial and duty. The story's convincible plot engulfs all of these complex issues, coupled with a consistent ease so notable in Ms. Collin's work. And as always, it is artfully dappled with Austen-like wit and historical flavour of the time. Each adroitly contrived chapter leaves you anticipating what the next one will hold with eager expectation. A truly "capital" read! 

To Ms. Collins -- I think I speak for all your readers when I express sincere gratitude for this special commemorative novel, along with your encompassing works. I surmise that Miss Austen herself would have been very well pleased. Mr. Darcy's Daughter is the fifth novel in her lovely Pemberleyseries - convincing and historically-researched sequels to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. You can find my full reviews of her previous 4 novels on her official website: The Shades of Pemberley in the "reviews" section, or on my Pride & Prejudice Prudence page.

02/01/2001 

3 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for the suggestion, Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, thanks for this recommendation. I'll be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bev, have you read any of Joan Aiken's books? I discovered her when I decided to go alpha by author thru the library a few years ago. I ended up reading every book I could find. Most of her books are light and fluffy but her Austen sequels are really great. The best one, I feel, was JANE FAIRFAX which tells the tale of EMMA thru Jane's eyes. Excellent portrayal of that quiet character-I ended up liking her much more than Emma...ha.

    She also completes one of Austen's unfinished novels-'The Watsons' with EMMA WATSON, traces ELIZA'S DAUGHTER as her sequel to Sense and Sensibility, and extends the life of Fanny in MANSFIELD REVISITED.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete